MHG55507 - Stamford Cottage - Camemorie
An early to mid 19th-century single storey bothy/dwelling with later addition, with surviving heather thatch under tin. This is one of only a small number of dwellings where 19th-century room configurations and interiors still survive.
Type and Period (1)
- HOUSE (Built, 19th Century - 1801 AD to 1866 AD (at some time))
Stamford Cottage is an early-mid 19th century dwelling with a largely intact interior demonstrating authentic vernacular construction methods. The principal room to the south has a box bed, fitted press and cupboards and a timber fireplace. The roof structure features waney edge timbers and horizontal caber construction, adding to the interest, and has the remains of a heather and turf thatch beneath the tin. The gable end of the building fronts the former military road between Coupar Angus to Fort George. This portion of the road was used as a cattle droving route. Full architectural details are available in Historic Scotland's listed building description, see link at the bottom of this record. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NJ 02303 31275 (8m by 12m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||CROMDALE, INVERALLAN AND ADVIE|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB51882 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/313532 (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.