MHG55544 - Possible structure - Cill Ashik
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- STRUCTURE (Unknown date)
- (Alternate Type) HUT CIRCLE? (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
Within the cemetery, near to the presumed mound of the original chapel, there are low walls of what appears to be a structure cut by the present enclosure wall. It is less obvious on the outside of the enclosure wall, above the well.
Alternate name: Ashaig. <1>
The structure can be seen on vertical APs dating to 2010 and 2015. On the 2010 APs, the structure looks more square but on those from 2015 it may be more round. If the latter it may be the remains of a prehistoric hut circle measuring c.9m across. <2> <3>
GIS spatial data amended in 2019 according to location as seen on 2015 APs.
The site of the structure lies within the area of the Cill Ashaig church and burial ground scheduled by Historic Environment Scotland with effect from 04/09/2019. <4>
- <1> Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2012. Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Broadford. Yes. Digital. Site 19. XY
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2010. Getmapping aerial photography 2010.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2015. Getmapping aerial photography 2015.
- <4> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2019. Scheduled Monument Scheduling Notification - SM13720. Historic Environment Scotland. 11/09/2019. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 68710 24280 (10m by 10m) (GPS derived)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/331658/skye-cill-ashik (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.