MHG55546 - Pulpit Rock, Ashaig
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
- None recorded
Local tradition states that the rock was used for preaching, with people standing in sheltered area to south across the burn. Legend has it that St Maelrubha preached from here (Lamont 1913). John MacLeod recalls that in recent times, from at least 20 years ago, services were held at least once a year in the summer from the pulpit rock. This was recorded by the ARCH Community Timeline course in 2011. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NG 688 243 (40m by 40m) (Approximate)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/331659/skye-ashaig-pulpit-rock (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.