MHG55556 - Remains of former school, Upper Milovaig
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- SCHOOL (19th Century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
The school was set up by the Society for the Support of Gaelic Schools, one of the 'circulating schools' to teach people in their native Gaelic. The first teacher was sent to Glendale in 1816. The school is depicted on the 1st edition OS map in the 1870s (with caption: 'School (Boys and Girls)' ), but not on the 2nd edition. It was probably abandoned in the late 1800s after Borrowdale public school was built in 1875. Only low walls of two buildings remain, one c. 10m x 5 meters, the other much smaller.
The first mention of 1816 reported that Donald Mathewson taught 35 males and 14 females from ages 5-15. In 1818 he taught 54 people aged 5-40 in Fasach Township, Glendale. In 1819 he was teaching in Fasach and Husabost townships. In the 1841 census Tomas Noble is recorded as the schoolmaster in Husabost, then in Colbost in 1851 and again in 1861 when Andrew Noble was visiting on census night. Andrew Noble and his family are subsequently recorded in the 1871 census as living in Milovaig on the croft where the ruins now are; his occupation is recorded as Gaelic teacher.
Part of MHG27609 Upper Milovaig Crofting Township <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NG 156 497 (12m by 15m) (Approximate)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/331640/skye-upper-milovaig-school (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.