MHG55558 - Ord Quartzite Quarry
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- SILICA QUARRY (In use, Second World War to 20th Century - 1944 AD to 1960 AD (between))
- None recorded
J.G. Stein & Co. of Bonnybridge commenced quarrying in 1944 and this continued until 1960. Silica was extracted from the quartzite ore and used as a heat resistant substance in industrial furnaces, fire bricks, cements, boilers etc. Only the explosives store and a storage building, now used as a bothy, survive. A resident of Kilmore in Sleat worked for the company as a young man. He remembers that the ore was removed from the quarry in trucks that ran on a very short rail track to the road where it was loaded onto lorries and taken to the pier at Armadale. It was his job then to offload the ore into a waiting puffer (coastal trading boat).
Estate rental and letter books held at Clan Donald Library, The Museum of the Isles, Armadale. Ref: GD221/5783 98, 776, 805, 814 <1>
GIS spatial data created 2019 based on OS Master Map. <2>
|Grid reference||Centred NG 626 126 (52m by 73m) (Approximate)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/331642/skye-ord-quartzite-quarry (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.