MHG55586 - Goods yard, Strathpeffer Station
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- GOODS YARD (19th Century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Following the establishment of the Strathpeffer branch line in 1885, extensive sidings for goods, such as coal, paraffin and oil, etc., grew up on the north side of the station (MHG6292). They are clearly depicted on the 2nd edition OS map. One of the two goods sheds was located under the present Peffery House. There were two coal merchants in Strathpeffer - Roy Munro and then Willie Kennedy who ran Ben Wyvis Garage and then Spa Motors. Jock Henderson, who lived at Kinnettas, used his horse and cart to carry luggage and the large amounts of goods of all kinds that came by railway between the station and the various hotels before WWII. A path from the station to the Ben Wyvis Hotel (MHG7864) allowed the porters to walk up to the hotel.
Information from Kitty Campbell; Duncan Finlayson;Neil Macdonald, ARCH Remembering Strathpeffer Project, 2011.
Messrs John D. Wood & Co., 1949. Strathpeffer, Ross-shire. The Holiday Resort of the Northern Highlands. Part of the Strathpeffer Estate. For Sale by Auction as a Whole or in Lots <1>
|Grid reference||NH 4862 5840 (point) (Approximate)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.