MHG55587 - The Anchorage, Strathpeffer
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- QUARRY SCOOP (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
- None recorded
Grit for the roads was kept in a hollow, surrounded by chestnut trees, just below Park Terrace. This is probably what is described as ‘A Useful Site’, fronting onto the main Dingwall road and let to the County Council in a sale prospectus for the Strathpeffer Estate, dated 1949. The accompanying map appears to show a triangular shaped hollow on the plot where The Anchorage now is. On the OS 2nd edition map (1906), this same hollow lies beyond Corrie Vanie, at that time the last house on this side of the Dingwall road. On the OS 1st edition map (1876), there are no buildings near this spot.
Information from Kitty Campbell;Jennifer Haslam, ARCH Remembering Strathpeffer Project, 2011
Messrs John D. Wood & Co., 1949. Strathpeffer, Ross-shire. The Holiday Resort of the Northern Highlands. Part of the Strathpeffer Estate. For Sale by Auction as a Whole or in Lots <1>
|Grid reference||NH 47984 57761 (point) (GPS derived)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.