MHG55596 - White Cottage, Strathpeffer
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- SHOP (Built, 19th Century to 20th Century - 1876 AD to 1906 AD (at some time))
- None recorded
On the OS 2nd edition map (1906), a very small building is depicted in this location in the garden of White Lodge, which was known on the OS 1st edition map as Ivy Cottage (MHG16481).
In the 1920s-1930s, one of the shops was a dairy, distributing cream etc from Mr Duncan MacGregor, Ardival Farms. The other shop had a variety of occupants, some only for a short time, including a fish shop, and shoe shop.
In a 1949 sales prospectus for the Strathpeffer Estate, this building is described as ‘a block of three modern stone, rough cast and slate Shops’, occupied by a shoemaker (George Anderson), baker (James Deas) and fishmonger (Ann Macgregor).
In the 1950s, Ken McMaster had a carpenters shop behind the two surviving shops.
In the 1960s-late 1970s, the building was occupied by a ladies hairdresser and a ladies’ clothes shop.
More recently it was occupied by a ‘Tea Shoppe’.
It is now a holiday cottage.
Information from Kitty Campbell; Jennifer Haslam; Fiona Newton; Margaret Spark; Duncan Finlayson, ARCH Remembering Strathpeffer Project, 2011
Messrs John D. Wood & Co., 1949. Strathpeffer, Ross-shire. The Holiday Resort of the Northern Highlands. Part of the Strathpeffer Estate. For Sale by Auction as a Whole or in Lots <1>
|Grid reference||NH 48298 58173 (point) (GPS derived)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.