MHG55605 - Ardival House, Strathpeffer
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Reputedly the oldest house in Strathpeffer, it is said to have originally been an inn, but was also a farm and mill (Finlayson 1979, 31-2). It is called Ardvall on the OS 1st edition map (1876), but the farm - and the name - seems to have been transferred to its present location, up the hill, by the time of the map was revised in 1906 (Finlayson 1979, 31; see MHG22697). The building was originally single storey and has been altered significantly during its lifetime. Ardival was run as a boarding house by Kate Finlayson prior to WWI. The house is described in the 1949 Sales Prospectus as 'built of stone with a slate roof and has rough cast walls.'
Information from Duncan Finlayson, ARCH Remembering Strathpeffer Project, 2011.
Messrs John D. Wood & Co., 1949. Strathpeffer, Ross-shire. The Holiday Resort of the Northern Highlands. Part of the Strathpeffer Estate. For Sale by Auction as a Whole or in Lots
Finlayson, C., 1979. The Strath: the biography of Strathpeffer: Scotland's famous spa, and district. Edinburgh: St Andrew Press
Highland Museum of Childhood exhibition ‘Hands across the Sea exhibition’ (2009) <1>
|Grid reference||NH 48550 58333 (point) (GPS derived)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.