MHG55606 - The Shieling, Strathpeffer
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- SHOP (19th Century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
The older of two shops known as The Shieling, it was also constructed of wood, though it was not similar in appearance to its namesake (MHG22633). It is shown as no. 111 on Plan 3 in a 1949 sales prospectus for the Strathpeffer Estate. It lies against the boundary of Burnhill (MHG22284), on what must once have been Ardival ground). The shop burnt down before 1957, reputedly because a firework was put through the letter box on Guy Fawkes Night. The outline of the plot is still indicated by a fence and by the concrete threshold.
In the 1920s-1930s, it was run by Miss Macdonald and Miss Fraser, who sold good quality woollen ladies wear. This was a very successful business, serving both visitors and locals alike. Miss Macdonald and Miss Fraser lived in Holmwood, now Glenesk (MHG22724). Both were very active in the life of the Strath; Miss Fraser was a great walker and a fine skater. In the 1940s-1950s, The Shieling was run by Mrs Joan Cooper, who also sold woollen goods.
Information from Duncan Finlayson; Fiona Newton; Margaret Spark, ARCH Remembering Strathpeffer Project, 2011.
Messrs John D. Wood & Co., 1949. Strathpeffer, Ross-shire. The Holiday Resort of the Northern Highlands. Part of the Strathpeffer Estate. For Sale by Auction as a Whole or in Lots <1>
|Grid reference||NH 48495 58395 (point) (GPS derived)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.