MHG55609 - Ardival Mill, Strathpeffer


No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • MILL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

The pond and sluice which served Ardival Mill are shown on the OS 1st edition map (1876), but are not visible on the 2nd edition map (1906). The mill was still present on the 2nd edition map, but is no longer extant. According to Watson 1904, the mill is first mentioned in 1586 and ‘in 1681 it is mentioned as “Tympane mill, near Clach an Tiompan,” the stone in the grounds of Nutwood near the public road ...’ (Watson 1904, 99). According to Finlayson, the mill, which stood of the bottom of Ardival’s garden, was not generally known as Ardival Mill, but as the Tympan Mill (Finlayson 1979, 32). The Eagle stone (MHG43542) was said to have originally been located beside the mill.

Watson, W.J 1904. Place Names of Ross and Cromarty
Finlayson, C., 1979. The Strath: the biography of Strathpeffer: Scotland's famous spa, and district. Edinburgh: St Andrew Press. <1>

Sources/Archives (1)



Grid reference NH 48470 58359 (point) (GPS derived)
Map sheet NH45NE
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish FODDERTY

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (0)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.