MHG55627 - Site of former steading, Ardivale House, Strathpeffer


No summary available.

Type and Period (2)

  • COACH HOUSE (Built, 19th Century - 1850 AD? to 1876 AD? (at some time))
  • STABLE (Built, 19th Century - 1850 AD? to 1876 AD? (at some time))

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

On the OS 1st edition map (1876), a U-shaped steading is shown with an additional rectangular building along its west side and a small building and what may be pens along its open (north) side. On the 2nd edition map (1906), it seems to have been roofed over to form a single unit. It was a coaching stables prior to the introduction of motor vehicles, the carriages occupying one side and the horses the other, with the coachmen and stable boys living above. In the 1920s, the garage was operated by Willie Kennedy; he moved to Spa Motors (MHG32482). According to Peggy Macdonald nee Ramsay, who lived at Ardival House after the Finlayson family left after WWI, the garage burnt down about 80 years ago, destroying 7 carriages; this was probably when the curved corrugated iron roof was put on. A plumber and a mason worked from the east end of the building after the fire. This is how it appears in a 1949 sales prospectus for the Strathpeffer Estate, when it was in use as the Ben Wyvis Garage, run by Messrs. Logan & Co. In 1949, there was a painter’s shop and store, let to Mr Ross, between the garage and the Dingwall road. This was later occupied by Robertsons, Joiners. When the Logans moved to Muir of Ord, they took the name with them, and the garage became known as Ben Motors. It remained in use as a garage, run by Bill Gilbert, until 1953, when it was taken over by the then County Council as a roads depot and signshop; it is annotated as ‘Depot’ on the current edition of the OS map. The corrugated iron roof had become rather dilapidated by the time the building was demolished in October 2010.

Information from Kitty Campbell;Duncan Finlayson; Neil Macdonald; Fiona Newtonand Peggy Macdonald, ARCH Remembering Strathpeffer Project, 2011.

Messrs John D. Wood & Co., 1949. Strathpeffer, Ross-shire. The Holiday Resort of the Northern Highlands. Part of the Strathpeffer Estate. For Sale by Auction as a Whole or in Lots <1>

Sources/Archives (1)



Grid reference NH 4850 5833 (point) (Approximate)
Map sheet NH45NE
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish FODDERTY

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (0)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.