MHG55684 - Post-medieval farmstead - Allt Mor, Bracadale, Skye
A post-medieval farmstead was recorded during a walkover survey by West Coast Archaeological Services in 2012 at Allt Mor, Bracadale, Skye, prior to a proposed woodland creation scheme.
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
A post-medieval farmstead was recorded during a walkover survey by West Coast Archaeological Services in 2012 at Allt Mor, Bracadale, Skye, prior to a proposed woodland creation scheme. It consisted of several components which were, west to east: a byre; a twinning pen; a kaleyard; a yard or pen; a second twinning pen; a house and an enclosure.
The byre (feature 4a) was covered in grass and bracken and built of stone. It measured 5 NW- SE by 4m over walls 0.8m wide and up to 0.6m high. It had an entrance 0.6m wide in the south-east corner and was attached to the east end of the kale-yard (feature 4c).
A stone-built twinning pen (feature 4b) was located in the north corner of the byre. It measured 1.2m long NW-SE by
1m wide over walls 0.4m wide and up to 0.5m high.
The kaleyard (feature 4c) was covered in grass and bracken and was built of stone and turf. It measured 18 NE-SW by 13m over walls spread to 2m wide and up to 1m high with an entrance approx. 1m wide in the east end.
A yard or pen (feature 4d) covered in grass and bracken and built of stone and turf lay between the kaleyard and the house (feature 4f). It measured 12m long NE-SW by 5m over walls spread to 1.8m wide and up to 1.2m high. It had possible entrances at the south-west and north-east ends.
A stone-built twinning pen (feature 4e) was located in the WSW corner of the yard or pen (feature 4d). It measured 1.5m long north-south by 1.4m wide over walls 0.5m wide and up to 1m high. A sheet of tin covered the pen.
The house (feature 4f) was grass- and bracken covered and built of stone and turf. It measured 8m long NW-SE by 6m over walls spread to 1.6m wide and up to 1.3m high. The entrance was 0.6m wide in the WSW-facing wall, there was a blocked entrance in the NW end 0.6m wide, and a possible hearth or kiln-bowl in the north-west corner.
At the east end of the complex was a grass and bracken covered stone- and turf-built enclosure (feature 4g). It measured 32m NE-SW by 23m over walls 1m wide and up to 0.4m high. The enclosure overlay an earlier turf and stone dyke at the east side (see MHG55685). <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NG 37679 40100 (60m by 47m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.