MHG55707 - Enclosures - Wick, Caithness
Two, possibly three, square/rectangular enclosures are visible on APs on the edge of a large area of peat cutting at the west end of the Loch of Wester, Wick, Caithness.
Type and Period (2)
- ENCLOSURE (Unknown date)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
- None recorded
Two, possibly three, square/rectangular enclosures are visible on APs on the edge of a large area of peat cutting at the west end of the Loch of Wester, Wick, Caithness. The two definite enclosures, from the east, are c.30m x 30m and 35m x 33m. The possible third enclosure, and the most westerly, lies on the east side of a burn and is c.50m x 30m. <1>
A coin hoard was apparently found near this site and declared Treasure Trove. <2>
The coin hoard was submitted to Treasure Trove (TT 203/12) and allocated to Dunbeath Heritage Museum. It comprised 46 medieval pennies, 20 coins of Edward I, 25 Scots pennies of Alexander III and 1 continental issue of John of Avesnes. It is a significant hoard as is not associated with the Wars of Independence, and has a high prportion of Scottish issues. A hoards this size so far north is also unusual and one two other have been recorded from Caithness. See attached TT artefact report. <3>
- --- Text/Record Form/Project Recording Form: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2019. Dunbeath Heritage Centre Archives.
- <1> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2011. Get Mapping 25cm resolution colour vertical aerial photography.
- <2> Text/Correspondence: Aitken, M.. 2012. Email regarding enclosures and coin hoard near Loch of Wester, Caithness. . Digital.
- <3> Dataset/Database File: Treasure Trove. 2019. Highland Finds from Treasure Trove Annual Reports 2004-18. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 203/12.
- <4> Text/Record Form: Treasure Trove. 2019. Treasure Trove Artefact Reports for Highland Area 1994-2018. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 203/12.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 31678 59388 (144m by 129m)|
- COIN HOARD (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.