MHG55721 - Gravestone - Inverarish Cemetery, Raasay, Portree
The gravestone known locally as 'The German Stone' is located outside the south-east corner of Inverarish Cemetery on Raasay. It commemorates the deaths and burials of a number of First World War prisoners of War on Raasay.
Type and Period (1)
- GRAVESTONE (First World War - 1914 AD to 1918 AD)
- None recorded
The gravestone known locally as 'The German Stone' is located outside the south-east corner of the wall that surrounds Inverarish Cemetery on Raasay. It commemorates the deaths and burials of a number of First World War prisoners of War on Raasay. It is a large reddish boulder of Torridonian Sandstone. The flat east-facing side has three incised panels, a disc with a pair of rectangualr panels with half-rounded tops below it. The panels are reported to have contained metal plaques. The remains of the deceased were reportedly removed against the wishes of the islanders in 1967 to the German War Cemetery at Cannock Chase in Staffordshire. The stone was dumped on its side outside the cemetery wall and the metal plaques were removed. It was re-erected in the mid-1980s by the islanders. It was recorded by members of ACFA in 2005 as part of their ongoing survey of the archaeological and historic monuments on Raasay. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NG 55029 37008 (4m by 4m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/339765/raasay-clachan-graveyard-war-memorial-stone (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.