MHG5581 - Guirdil, Rhum
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NG30SW 8 3200 0137.
On the shore at Guirdil there are two ruinous cottages and, in the adjoining fank, traces of what may be the wall-footings of a rectangular building. Of the two cottages, that on the NE is earlier, possibly built between 1801 and 1824 (see NG 30 SW 7), while the other is probably a later shepherd's cottage. A third cottage is in use as a bothy.
Visited by RCAHMS May 1983
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Langlands, G and Sons. 1801. Map of Argyllshire.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Love, J A. 1983. The Isle of Rum: a short history. 21.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1983. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Rhum, Lochaber District, Highland Region. . 10, No.26.
- --- Image/Map: Thomson, J. 1824. Skye Island etc. Part of Inverness-shire.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 3209 0126 (353m by 335m)|
|Civil Parish||SMALL ISLES|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11019 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.