MHG55837 - Early C20 hunting lodge - Gaick, Kingussie and Insh
A hunting lodge on the Gaick Estate, built by the Duke of Gordon in the early C20 to replace one destroyed in an avalanche.
Type and Period (1)
- HUNTING LODGE (c.1820, 19th Century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Gaick Lodge stands at the south end of Loch An T-Seilich. It was built to replace an earlier lodge (NN78SE 1) that stood about 200m to the SE which was destroyed in an avalanche in 1800.
The second lodge, and the site of the first, were depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1872, Sheet CXXXII).
Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 26 September 2011. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NN 75753 84798 (52m by 53m)|
|Civil Parish||KINGUSSIE AND INSH|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/313064/gaick-lodge (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.