MHG55839 - Enclosure - Gaick Estate, Kingussie and Insh
A stone-built rectangular enclosure lies south of Gaich Lodge.
Type and Period (1)
- ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
A stone-built rectangular enclosure lies southeast of Gaich Lodge. It is shown on the OS 1st Edition map and appears as it does now, with its western wall alongside the track which runs northwest-wards to the lodge. <1>
There are indications visible on aerial photographs, however, that it may once have been larger. There seem to be the remains of a wall extending beyond the current southwest corner to the other side of the track. <2>
The original Gaick Lodge (see MHG4508) apparently stood on the north side of the enclosure and it is likely that it was associated with that building.
|Grid reference||Centred NN 75923 84605 (77m by 66m)|
|Civil Parish||KINGUSSIE AND INSH|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.