MHG55847 - Reservoir - north of Glensgaich, Fodderty
A reservoir to the north of Glensgaich, Fodderty, probably constructed for a hydro-electric scheme in 1904 was visited during a walkover survey prior to a new hydro-electric scheme in 1999.
Type and Period (1)
- RESERVOIR (Constructed 1904?, 20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
- None recorded
A reservoir to the north of Glensgaich, Foderty, probably constructed for a hydro-electric scheme in 1904 was visited during a walkover survey by C Dagg prior to a new hydro-electric scheme in 1999. It was troughly 'D'-shaped and maesured 18m north-south and 24m east-west. At the time of the visit it was filled with rushes and sphagnum moss although water was still flowingout through a pipe set in drystone to the southeast. To the northeast [note: this should read northwest] was another point of outflow marked by a gap in the bank and some traces of wooden posts, just below this a straight ditch flowed away downhill. The building originally housing the winding gear for the sluices stood to the west of the pond. It consisted of a stone base measuring 2.5m by 2m and standing 1.6m high with a ladder leading up to the wooden superstructure. The interior shaft wa lined with brick and filled with debris. <1>
The reservoir has since been cleared and re-instated.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 45396 62399 (245m by 177m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.