MHG55856 - Visitor Centre, Rum


Mid C19th building associated with the adjacent pier, probably replaced by the current tin store. Now a visitor centre.

Type and Period (2)

  • FISHING SHIEL (Built, 19th Century - 1825 AD? to 1879 AD)
  • STOREHOUSE (Built, 20th Century - 1920 AD to 1920 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Small building depicted on the OS 6" 1st edition map c.1879-80 (Argyllshire (Island of Rum), Sheet LXI). Most likely used as a goods shed serving boats travelling from and to the adjacent pier of Port Clach an t-Sagairt (which is mid-19th century in date). Currently a small tin shed or bothy occupies the site. This is almost certainly not the same building as that depicted on the 1st edition OS map, but rather a later construction utilising the location of the earlier building; no building is depicted in this location on the 2nd edition OS map, and the present building is built on a substantial concrete base. Present building is constructed of corrugated sheet tin walls and roof on a timber frame with double width timber doors. It would likely originally have served the adjacent pier. The building is now utilised as a small visitor centre. <1>

Sources/Archives (1)



Grid reference Centred NM 4063 9908 (8m by 6m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NM49NW
Civil Parish SMALL ISLES
Geographical Area LOCHABER

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (0)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.