MHG55893 - Hut circle - Badfearn, Gairloch
A hut circle truncated by a later field dyke was noted at Badfearn, Gairloch, during a walkover survey in 2008 prior to an OHL replacement scheme.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
A possible stone and earth hut circle truncated by a later field dyke was noted at Badfearn, Gairloch, during a walkover survey by C Dagg in 2008 prior to an OHL replacement scheme between Aultbea and Dundonnell. It was immediately south of a new OHL pole site and would possibly be subject to damage. <1>
188254 889172 Aultbea Croft 1 MR004: The hut circle was visited by A Welti and A MacInnes in 2011 as part of research for a dissertation on hut circles in Wester Ross. This was part of a degree course overseen by Aberdeen University. This circular stone structure is one of a cluster of five hut circles lying between 700m and 800m to the east of Aultbea. It sits on a natural terrace in an area where vegetation inside and outside is mostly heather with some grass. The interior is boggy. There are panoramic views from the site over both land and sea.The HC is at a distance of 200m from a stream, 400m from the river Allt Beithe, and 1000m from Loch Ewe, a sealoch. Average inner diameter is 8.4m, external diameter is 11.45m. The wall is 1.5m thick with maximum height 0.54m. A very degraded possible entrance faces east. A field wall truncates the eastern arc of the HC wall. There are numerous field walls in the area. Approximately 10m to the southwest are the very degraded remains of two further structures which may also have been hut circles. MR004 is at a distance of 250m from MR001 (see MHG51506), JAN008 (see MHG) and JAN007 (see MHG). <2> <3>
[Note: a database was set up as part of research for the dissertation and was subsequently expanded as an extension of the We Digs Project (see website link below). The full access database can be made available to enquirers/researchers if requested - contact HER for details].
GIS spatial data amended in 2019 to location as shown on 2009 Aps. <4>
- <1> Text/Report/Environmental Statement: Dagg, C. & Ash Design & Assessment. 2008. Aultbea to Dundonnell 33kV Overhead Distribution Line Upgrade: Environmental Statement: Vol 1: Written Statement: Chapter 6 Cultural Heritage. ASH Design and Assessment. . Digital.
- <2> Text/Manuscript: Welti, A.. 2012. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye. University of Aberdeen. Yes. Digital. MR004.
- <3> Dataset/Database File: Welti, A.. 2009-2016. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye: project database. Lochbroom Field Club. Yes. Digital. MR004.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8825 8918 (20m by 20m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.wedigs.co.uk/ (View the WeDigs in Wester Ross Project website)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.