MHG560 - Site of Lochaline House, Fiunary
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NM64NW 14 622 467
NM 622 467. Lochaline House: Built 1821-5. Altered and enlarged 1870s. Dismantled 1910, walls still standing.
P Gaskell 1968. <1>
Lochaline House. Sleeping beauty of a ruin hidden among trees and rhodedendrons. A 'very handsome and substatial mansion-house' was builtv for John Sinclair soon after he acquired the Lochaline estate in 1821. It was remodelled and extended in the 1870's. Victorian front of five bays, the centrepiece a gabled Italianate tower. In the flanking bays, windows of two basket-arched lights under consoled cornices. Consoled pediments over the outer windows.
J Gifford 1992. <2>
See assoc. docs. File.
The Italianate façade was demolished in 1998, prior to the construction of a new house on the same site. Foundations of the rear part of the house have been retained.
Field Verification Project (West Lochaber) - J Robertson, 03/2004
J Aitken : 02/03/01.
Iain Thornber has provided an extract from his forthcoming publication on the lost houses of Lochaber:
" Originally built 1821-5 by John sinclair, a Tobermory merchant and distiller. Remodelled in the 1870s. Dismantled 1899 and deliberately burnt in 1910. The walls remained standing until 1999 when they were vandalised and completed flattened. " <3>
The above extract includes a photograph of the building and is held offline. Copies for personal use can be provided on request. <4>
RCAHMS holds a number of images of the building from 1997 and two images in the Iain Thornber collection. These can be viewed in the RCAHMS Search Room in Edinburgh (see the Canmore record for details). <5>
- <1> SHG2242 Text/Publication/Volume: Gaskell, P. 1968. Morvern transformed: a highland parish in the nineteenth century. 169.
- <2> SHG2247 Text/Publication/Monograph: Gifford, J. 1992. Highland and Islands. The Buildings of Scotland. Paper (Original). 256.
- <3> SHG25472 Text/Manuscript: Thornber, I. 2011. Extracts from the Lost Houses of Lochaber ©. Yes. Digital.
- <4> SHG23297 Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer.
- <5> SHG23282 Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 79956.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6220 4669 (20m by 20m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/79956 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.