MHG56007 - Shieling - Braehour, Halkirk
A shieling noted by RoCAS during a DBA and walkover survey in 2012 on behalf of the Forestry Commission Scotland.
Type and Period (1)
- SHIELING (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A shieling was noted during a DBA and walkover survey by RoCAS in 2012 on behalf of Forestry Commission Scotland. It took the form of a grass-covered oval shaped mound that measured 7m east to west by 6m and stood up to 0.8m high. There was no visible entrance. A possible very degraded turf dyke runs off the south-southeast side. <1>
Note: This shieling is possibly one of a central group noted in RJ Mercer's 1976-1979 survey, which is a linked source. This grouping can be found at MHG1311. S Salem 07/10/2013 <2>
In August 2015, a walkover survey was undertaken in Braehour, Halkirk by Anne Coombs on behalf of the Forestry Commission Scotland to identify and demarcate archaeological sites in advance of clear fell operations. The sites are numbered according to the RoCAS list and maps.
Site 666: This shieling is in clear ground and is visible as a large grass covered mound. The turf dyke noted in the RoCAS report is intermittently visible along the ride adjacent and southeast of the shieling and on the old edge of the plantation which has been clearfelled. The shieling was taped and marked with GPS and photographed. <3>
- <1> SHG25786 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Peteranna, M.. 2012. Braehour Forest Block Near Mybster, Caithness: Archaeological Walkover Survey - Summary of the Methodology and Results. Ross & Cromarty Archaeological Services. Digital. Site 666.
- <2> SHG2510 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Mercer, R. J. & Howell, J.M.. 1980. Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland, 1976-1979. University of Edinburgh. 30/01/1980. Paper and Digital.
- <3> SHG28808 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Coombs, A.. 2021. Pre-felling Walkover Survey: Braehour, July 2015. Anne Coombs. 29/10/2021. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1008 4980 (5m by 5m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8267 (Link to HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.