MHG56008 - Canister shot - King's Stables, Culloden Battlefield
A piece of canister shot was recovered by a metal detectorist near King's Stables within the registered boundary of the Culloden Battlefield.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (18th Century - 1701 AD to 1800 AD)
- None recorded
A piece of canister shot was recovered by a metal detectorist near King's Stables within the registered boundary of the Culloden Battlefield. The find has been claimed as Treasure Trove. <1>
Submitted to Treasure Trove (TT 128/13) and allocated to Inverness Museum. See attached TT report for further details. <2> <3>
An assemblage of 10 other finds have been discovered during metal detecting at Stable Hollow. Most of this was modern and undiagnostic, comprising a copper alloy handle, a 19th century livery button, a copper alloy button, a decorated tombac button, a lead bar, 3 copper alloy fragments and 2 zinc fragments. These objects were submitted to Treasue Trove and disclaimed (TTTNC 2013/269). <2>
- <1> Personal communication: Ferguson, N. 2012. Email regarding find of canister shot from near Culloden Battlefield. Treasure Trove Unit, National Museums Scotland.
- <2> Dataset/Database File: Treasure Trove. 2019. Highland Finds from Treasure Trove Annual Reports 2004-18. Treasure Trove. Digital.
- <3> Text/Record Form: Treasure Trove. 2019. Treasure Trove Artefact Reports for Highland Area 1994-2018. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 128/13.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7337 4500 (30m by 30m)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
- CANISTER (SHOT) (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.