MHG56078 - Bronze Age occupation - Culduthel, Inverness
Evidence for occupation in the Bronze Age was exposed and recorded at Culduthel, Inverness, during an evaluation in 2005 and excavation in 2007 by Headland Archaeology.
Type and Period (2)
- PIT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- ROUND HOUSE (DOMESTIC) (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
Evidence for occupation in the Bronze Age was exposed and recorded at Culduthel, Inverness, during an evaluation in 2005 and excavation in 2007 by Headland Archaeology. Radiocarbon dates and pottery analysis indicated that it could be attributed to two phases. The earliest phase was represented by natural deposits containing Beaker pottery (a small spread and a deposit within a palaeo-channel) and the later by three small roundhouses. The Beaker assemblage related to domestic (or at least non-funerary) activity and may have represented two episodes of activity suggested by the fact that material from the palaeochannel fill produced a radio-carbon date of 3910+/-30 BP. Unfortunately there was no evidence for structures of this period. Three small roundhouses were dated to the Middle to Late Bronze Age, though they did not appear to be contemporary. Houses B and C were the best preserved and were situated on flat ground in an area containing over a hundred pits. In the northern area containing houses B and C there was a circular arrangement of nine pits including a hazelnut roasting pit and a cooking pit. It was considered possible that their circular arrangement was due to their location within an enclosure, such as a light fence or hedge that has left no trace in the archaeological record. <1> <2> <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Jones, E.. 2005. Culduthel Mains Farm, Inverness: Phase 7 & 8 Archaeological Evaluation. Headland Archaeology Ltd. 09/12/2005. Digital.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Murray, R.. 2008. Data Structure Report of an Archaeological Excavation at Culduthel Farm Phases 7 and 8. Headland Archaeology Ltd. Digital.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Murray, R.. 2010. Culduthel Farm Phase 7 and 8: Draft publication report. Headland Archaeology Ltd. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6654 4170 (81m by 81m)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.