MHG56383 - Cairn, Balblair Wood
A mound of cobbles in Balblair Wood identified through evaluation in 2012 as a cairn.
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
This possible hut circle or enclosure, identified by GUARD in 2005 during a walkover survey and DBA exercise in advance of the proposed Beauly-Denny OHL Replacement line, consists of a turf and moss covered bank of up to 0.8 m in height and 2.5 m in width. The feature is approximately 9 m by 7 m. <1> See also the relevant extracted chapters from the EIA report. <2>
This feature was noted during a partial walkover survey by Highland Archaeology Services in 2011. <3>
This feature was evaluated by Northlight Heritage in June 2012 as it lay on the site of a proposed converter station as part of SHETL Western Isles Commection Programme. A single trench (T7) was excavated to investigate the feature, which was found to comprise a pile of small and medium sized cobbles within a silty sand matrix. No artefacts or deposits were found but the feature was identified as a cairn. <4>
- <1> SHG25589 Dataset/Database File: GUARD. 2010. Beauly to Denny 400kV Powerline: Cultural Heritage Survey Sites Highland. GUARD. MDB. ES No 005, GUARD Field Survey No 296.
- <2> SHG25750 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Sneddon, D.. 2005. Proposed Beauly to Denny 400kV Overhead Transmission Line: Environmental Statement (Cultural Heritage). Glasgow University Archaeological Research Division (GUARD). 6/10/2005. Digital.
- <3> SHG25587 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wood, J. 11/2011. Beauly Substation, Balblair, Inverness: Walk-over Survey and Watching Brief. Highland Archaeology Services Ltd. Digital.
- <4> SHG25853 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Becket, A.. 2012. Western Isles Converter Station: Archaeological Evaluation: Balblair Woods, Beauly, Highland. Northlight Heritage. Digital. FTR005.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5039 4465 (8m by 9m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (3)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/346718/balblair-wood (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.