MHG56394 - Boundary banks - Balblair Wood

Summary

Two boundary banks in Balblair Wood investigated in 2012 by Northlight Heritage.

Type and Period (1)

  • BOUNDARY BANK (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Two roughly linear banks running in a NW-SE direction in Balblair Wood identified by GUARD in 2005 during a walkover survey and DBA exercise in advance of the proposed Beauly-Denny OHL Replacement line. Both banks are turf and heather covered and exist to 0.4 m in height, 2 m in width and run for roughly 55 m. The banks are approximately 30 m apart at the southeast end and only 7 m at the northwest end. The banks appear to form boundaries between possible hut circles 290, 292 and 296. <1> See also the relevant extracted chapters from the EIA report. <2>

These features were evaluated by Northlight Heritage in June 2012 as they lay on the site of a proposed converter station as part of SHETL Western Isles Commection Programme. Three trenches (T5, T6 and T8) were excavated across the features, which were found to comprise of small and medium sized cobbles within a silty sand matrix. No artefacts or deposits were found. <3>

Sources/Archives (3)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 5037 4465 (37m by 37m)
Map sheet NH54SW
Civil Parish KILMORACK
Geographical Area INVERNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (2)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.