MHG56455 - Farmstead - Scoolary, Caithness
A farmstead at Scoolary, Caithness. Shown on OS 1st Edition map and visited during a walkover survey by SUAT in 2004.
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (1867, 19th Century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
A farmstead at Scoolary, shown on the OS 1st Edition map, consisting of several three buildings, arranged around a courtyard. An additional small outbuilding to the southeast is also shown. It was the eastern of two in the general area. A well is also shown.
The site of this farmstead was visited by SUAT in 2004 during a walkover survey in advance of a proposed windfarm development. It was found to comprise the remains of two ranges on the north and west sides of a courtyard. Both were single-storey with walls composed of Caithness slabs. The west range comprised two buildings, the southern of which had almost entirely disappeared except for the gable with the building to the north and a stub of wall on the west side. The gable contained a fire place. The north building had fireplaces in each gable. The north range comprised the east end of a building, roofed in Caithness slabs. At the southeast corner of the building was a corner stone with the initials 'DM' on the south face and the date '1867' on the east face. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3019 6861 (132m by 123m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.