MHG5656 - Roman Catholic Church, Sanday
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
NG20SE 25 2754 0478
Disused. Designed by William Frame and built by the Marchioness of Bute as a memorial to her father, Lord Howard of Glossop, 1886-90. Boxy nave and chancel. Small roundheaded windows, the three in the W gable under a rose window. Saddleback-roofed S tower with a two-stage belfry. N porch. Inside, a neo-Romanesque chancel arch; bandcourse round the nave carved by Thomas Nicholls with the heads of knights, priests and acolytes.
J Gifford 1992.
Reference: Given by 3rd Marchioness as a memorial to her Father, the 1st Baron Howard of Glossop. Report by James Frame, architect to the 3rd Marquess "Memorial Church of Isle of Canna. To visit and pass the work, and settle accounts May 1890. (Information from Mount Stuart Archives).
|Grid reference||Centred NG 2754 0479 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||SMALL ISLES|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB14132 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/76049 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.