MHG5663 - Kilmallie
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWNSHIP (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NN07NE 2 089 771.
(NN 089 771) The town of Kilmallie which gave its name to the present extensive parish, lay on north (OPS 1842) shore of Loch Eil opposite an Island called Island Lochiel at NN 089 771 (W Roy 1747-55). The name occurs frequently in its many variants, between 1296 when it is given ans Kilmalyn, and 1685 when it is called Kilmalzie (MacCulloch 1938) in 1854 (OPS 1842) it is shown as Kilmalyn, but late 19th century and the time of the OS 6"map 1st ed., the village had apparently gone and the name lost, as neither appear on this or subsequent OS maps.
The extent of the Kilmallie 'district' is given as extending from Tomonie (NN 104 708) westward to Annat burn (MacCulloch 1938) (name Annat NN 083 771). (For Kilmallie Church see NN07NE 3).
Orig Paroch Scot 1854; W Roy 1747-55; D B MacCulloch 1938.
Extensive local enquiries failed to produce further evidence on this township. It cannot, however, be classed as a depopulated township for it falls within the limits of what is now called the village of Corpach. Visited by OS (C F W) 17 July 1964.
No change. Visited by OS (N K B) 6 May 1970.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: MacCulloch, D B. 1938. Romantic Lochaber. Rev. 179-91.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Roy, W. 1747-55. Military Survey of Scotland.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: OPS. 1854. Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland. 2/1. 180-1; map.
|Grid reference||Centred NN 0889 7710 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/23585 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.