MHG567 - Building, Tigh an Easbuig

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • BUILDING (Undated)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Tigh an Easbuig: The turf-covered footings of this structure, situated in Forestry Commission woodland some 260m W of Keil farmhouse, indicate a rectangular building measuring 11m by 5.8m over 0.9m walls, with an adjacent enclosure measuring 16.8m by 15.5m. The local name means 'the Bishop's House', a term which probably derives from Mr Hector MacLean, minister of Morvern from 1639 to 1679 and bishop of Argyll from 1680 to 1687. A member of the family that occupied the adjacent farm of Knock, he is on record in 1671 as tacksman of Keil.
Visited May 1974.
RCAHMS 1980.

Remains of 3 houses and outlines of others visible on 1966 air photographs (), are in an area now covered by forest. The main clearance took place 1841-51.
P Gaskell 1968.

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NM 6670 4540 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NM64NE
Civil Parish MORVERN
Geographical Area LOCHABER

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.