MHG57174 - Signal Box - Glenfinnan Railway Station
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- SIGNAL BOX (In use, Modern - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
Glenfinnan Station signal box, built in 1901.
(Location cited as NM 899 810). Glenfinnan Station, opened 1901 by the West Highland Extension Rly. A two-platform through station. The down-platform building is a single-storey, reinforced-concrete structure with bow windows facing the platform. The roof is large enough to form an awning, to which glazed side screens have been added. There is a small wooden shelter on the up platform. Other stations on the extension, such as Banavie (NN17NW 20) and Locheilside (NM97NE 1), have similar main buildings.
J R Hume 1977.
Station cottage opened as museum, 22 May 1991.
(Name cited as Glenfinnan for Loch Shiel Station). This intermediate station on the Fort William (Mallaig Junction) - Mallaig line (the 'West Highland Extension') of the former North British Rly was opened on 1 April 1901. It remains in regular passenger use.
Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 27 August 1998.
A RCAHMS photographic survey of Glenfinnan Railway Station was undertaken, during May 1999, in order to enhance and augment the National Monuments Record Scotland holdings. The signal box was included.
Opened 1.4.1901 (WHR)
A photographic survey of the buildings was undertaken in 2011. <1>
The statutory address and listing description were amended by Historic Scotland as part of the Scottish Signal Box Review (2012-13), during which the signal box was specifically added to the listing. The signal box at Glenfinnan was originally built by the Railway Signal Company (RSCo) for NBR's West Highland line extension. The RSCo were the longest-lived firm of mechanical signalling contractors in the UK. Their West Highland design is based on the standard RSCo box but without the lower windows and with ornate timber brackets and deeper eaves to help protect from the rain in this part of Scotland. It was restored in 2010 as part of the Glenfinnan Station Museum and while no longer used, its levers and locking frame remain in situ. Its group value with the principal station building, as well as its broader contribution to the interest of the west highland line, add to its special interest. <2>
- --- SHG2009 Text/Publication/Volume: Butt, R V J. 1995. The directory of railway stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present. 104.
- --- SHG2332 Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original). 203.
- --- SHG2874 Text/Publication/Volume: Thomas, J. 1976. The West Highland railway. 2nd ed.. 97, 104, 161.
- <1> SHG26042 Image/Photograph(s): Gay, J. 2011. Photographic survey of Glenfinnan Station: Goods shed, main building and Signal box. Colour. Digital.
- <2> SHG27322 Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Brough, Y.. 2013. Glenfinnan Railway Station, Ticket Office/Waiting Room and Signal Box: notification of amendment to list description. Historic Scotland. 09/07/2013. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 8991 8095 (7m by 6m)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB312 (View Listed Building record on HES website)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/74593 (View Canmore record for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.