MHG57184 - Former settlement of Littletown (Littleton) - N of Nairnside, Nairn
The former farming settlement of Littletown (Littleton) is shown on various historic maps from the C18 onwards.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWNSHIP (18th Century to 19th Century - 1701 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
The former farming settlement or township of Littletown or Littleton, to the northeast of Nainside is shown on various historic maps from the C18 onwards. It is not shown on Pont's map of 1580, nor Blaeu's map of 1654.
The settlement is shown on Roy's map of 1747-55 as a small cluster of buildings labelled 'Littleton'. <1>
The buildings are clearly shown and labelled as 'THE GREEN & TOWN OF LITTLETOWN' on an estate plan of the Barony of Kilravock dating to 1757, in the collections of the National Archives of Scotland. <2>
By the time of the OS 1st and 2nd Edition maps, only a single building remained, though it is not labelled. <3> <4>
Nothing now remains.
- <1> Image/Map: Roy, W. 1747-55. Roy Military Survey of Scotland, 1747-55.
- <2> Image/Drawing/Plan: 1757. Plan of the Lands of the Barony of Kilravock (Ref: RHP6585). Paper (Original).
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1869-1884. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Nairn-shire. Digital.
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1905. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Nairn-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8266 5063 (64m by 147m)|
|Civil Parish||CROY AND DALCROSS|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.