MHG5721 - Raasay House, cross slab
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CROSS SLAB (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
- None recorded
NG53NW0004 Sanctuary crosses?
NG53NW0012 Cross base
NG53NW 13 5478 3661.
(NG 5478 3661) Sculptured Stone (found AD 1846) (NAT)
(NG 5477 3658) Standing Stone (NR) (Sculptured) (Site of)
OS 25"map, Inverness-shire, (1904)
(NG 5477 3658) Standing Stone (NR) (Sculptured)
OS 25"map, Inverness-shire, (1877)
Immediately S of Torr Iain Ghairbh (NG53NW 10), a sculptured stone was found in 1846, which is presently placed in an upright position near the E end of Raasay House. This rough granite slab bears on one side in relief what appears to commemorate one of the stages of the Passion of Christ, and is possibly one of the eight crosses referred to by Boswell as St. Maol-luag's chapel sanctuary markers (see NG53NW 4).
(The OS published entries indicate that this stone was removed from where it was set up, some time between 1877 and 1904.)
Name Book 1877; F A Pottle and C H Bennett 1963.
This stone could not be found at Raasay House. Local enquiries proved negative.
Visited by OS (A S P) 12 June 1961.
No further information.
Visited by OS (R L) 22 September 1971.
No further information on this missing stone was forthcoming during the ACFA 2005 survey of burial and church monuments on Raasay. <3>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Pottle and Bennett, F A and C H. 1963. Boswell's Journal of a Tour to the Hebrides, 1773.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 15, 17.
- <3> Text/Publication/Monograph: Wood, J S and Macdonald, J (eds). 2005. An Archaeological Survey of St Moluag's Chapel and Pictish Stones and Monuments of The Isle of Raasay. ACFA Occasional Papers. 82. Paper (Original). p.34.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 5477 3660 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11470 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.