MHG57220 - Hut circle - Kingsburgh 6 (Kingsburgh 06)
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
A hut circle was recorded by M Wildgoose in 2003 during a walkover survey in advance of a proposed forestry Woodland Grant Scheme. It was one of three recorded close to each other (see also MHG38869 & MHG57219). A very degraded ring-bank measuring 12m in diameter lying 6m northwest of the best preserved hut circle (see MHG38869). <1>
140641 854993 Kingsburgh 06 EB215: The hut circle was visited by A Welti and A MacInnes in 2010 as part of research for a dissertation on hut circles in Wester Ross. This was part of a degree course overseen by Aberdeen University. EB213 (see MHG38869) and 214 (see MHG57219) are M Wildgoose Site 6 in Kingsburgh Archaeological Survey 2003. HC is 4m behind a Forestry fence and has not been grazed, hence very overgrown with heather and moss since MW survey in 2003. It lies 6m NE of EB213 and 20m NNE of EB214. The structure is in very poor condition. Inner diameter is 5.9m, outer diameter averages 12m. A possible entrance is marked by the only visible stones, orientated to SE, similar to EB213, slightly different from EB214. Wall construction is unclear. EB215 may also be associated with EB210 (see MHG38870), 211 (see MHG57217) and 212 (see MHG38867). <2> <3>
[Note: a database was set up as part of research for the dissertation and was subsequently expanded as an extension of the We Digs Project (see website link below). The full access database can be made available to enquirers/researchers if requested - contact HER for details]
Note: NGR adjusted to centre of feature as seen on 1999-2001 APs [IS-L 01/02/2017].
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wildgoose, M. & Birch, S.. 2003. Kingsburgh Common Grazings Woodland Grant Scheme Proposal: Archaeological Survey, (Rapid Walkover). Archaeological and Ancient Landscape Survey (AALS). 29/10/2003. Paper and Digital. Site 6.
- <2> Text/Manuscript: Welti, A.. 2012. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye. University of Aberdeen. Yes. Digital. EB215.
- <3> Dataset/Database File: Welti, A.. 2009-2016. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye: project database. Lochbroom Field Club. Yes. Digital. EB215.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 4063 5500 (13m by 13m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.wedigs.co.uk/ (View the WeDigs in Wester Ross Project website)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.