MHG57475 - Building, lade, sluice, mill pond, waterwheel pit, Milton
Building, lade, sluice, mill pond, waterwheel pit, Milton
Type and Period (4)
- SLUICE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- MILL POND (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- WATERMILL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- LADE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
These mills, lades, ponds and sluices (1145 – 1157) - centred on NH303 554 (Grain mill, site 1157, - Nmrs No NH35NW 009) were recorded by NOSAS in 2007 as part of the Scotland's Rural Past Project. These sites are situated on the east bank of the Allt Mor, a large burn that drops steeply down to the River Meig in a series of waterfalls. The area has forestry plantation in its upper part, and is overgrown with rhododendrons and thick undergrowth. There are several phases of water management represented by the courses of two lades and two mill ponds, with at least four sluices. Evidence of 4 mills has been found. The mill (site 1157), pond (site 1150) and lade (site 1149) are marked on the 1st edition OS map of c1870 and also on an estate map of c 1853 and a specification, dated 1851, for the construction of a mill replacing an existing one has been located in NAS - GD433-3-3-6. The mill/wheel pit (site 1152), pond (site 1150) and lade (site 1146) are marked on the current OS map as “sawmill”. An earlier mill is depicted on the 1825 estate plan in the position of the building, 1145.
1149 Lade - NH 30120 55527 (NW end) The older of the two lades has a NW to SE course. It is c800m in length and on the lower side of the track. For most of its upper course it descends quite steeply and is an overgrown dry ditch which is as much as 1m deep in places. In the lower part it is fed by a small burn and the “tail race” from the pond, 1150. A sluice, 1155, has controlled the water before it enters the mill pond 1154, ducting it off down a spillway to the west of the pond; this now takes the majority of the water.
1150 Mill pond - NH 36267 55430 A small rectangular pond is c 40m x 20m in dimensions. It is entirely artificial and has a large earth bank retaining it on its west and south sides, which is heavily overgrown with rhododendrons and vegetation. At the SE corner there is a substantial sluice.
1151 Sluice - NH 30279 55428 A largely intact substantial sluice with stone and concrete retaining walls 1.5m high and with wooden gate, 1m height x 0.8m width in place.
1152 Waterwheel pit - NH 30286 55402 A rectangular pit constructed over the course of the outlet of the pond just a few metres to the south of sluice, 1151. It is c14m in length x c1.7m in width x 2.5m deep. At its north end the retaining wall slopes and rises a further c1.8m above this level (a grid has been placed over this area presumably for safety reasons) Two bolts are seen in the top of the east wall (these may have supported the wheel) A concrete wall, 1.8m high, divides off the deeper north end of the pit, so that the water is retained and it may be that this is a more recent alteration made in connection with a trout hatchery nearby.
1153 Building - NH 30250 55402 A wooden building with a tin/corrugated iron roof in quite good state of repair. Most recently used as a trout hatchery, the tanks are still in place inside. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 3025 5541 (217m by 163m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/108663 (Click to view HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.