MHG57485 - Hut circle - Torr Na H-Ulaidhe (Auchtercairn AH004)
A hut circle at Torr Na H-Ulaidhe.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
A hut circle at Torr Na H-Ulaidhe at Auchtercairn.
180889 877276 Torr Na H-Ulaidhe 4 (Auchtercairn 6) AH004: The hut circle was visited by A Welti, A MacInnes and A Harnden in 2010 as part of research for a dissertation on hut circles in Wester Ross. This HC is one of 10 circular stone structures in the Auchtercairn area above and to the east of Gairloch and is in poor condition. The surrounding landscape is covered mainly with heather, with some bracken. Young trees (forestry planting), are in and around HC area. Inside the structure the stones are overgrown with bracken and moss, and there is a lot of tumble. The site is 200m from a stream and 600m from the sealoch. The HC is on a natural ridge and under a crag, with panoramic views to the sea. The platform is built up from the ridge with a steep drop to SE. Average internal diameter is 6.05m, external diameter is 9.45m. The double skinned wall is 1.7m thick with maximum height 0.6m. A definite entrance faces SE with internal width 1.0m, external width 2.0m and passage length 2.75m, indicating an extended entrance. AH004 is at a distance of 100m from AH003 (see MHG57486) and 200m from AH002 (see MHG8336). <1> <2>
[Note: a database was set up as part of research for the dissertation and was subsequently expanded as an extension of the We Digs Project (see website link below). The full access database can be made available to enquirers/researchers if requested - contact HER for details].
NGR adjusted in 2017 to position as seen on 2009 vertical APs. <3>
- <1> Text/Manuscript: Welti, A.. 2012. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye. University of Aberdeen. Yes. Digital. AH004.
- <2> Dataset/Database File: Welti, A.. 2009-2016. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye: project database. Lochbroom Field Club. Yes. Digital. AH004.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8089 7728 (13m by 13m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.wedigs.co.uk/ (View the WeDigs in Wester Ross Project website)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.