MHG57486 - Hut circle - Torr Na H-Ulaidhe (Auchtercairn AH003)
A hut circle at Torr Na H-Ulaidhe.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
A hut circle at Torr Na H-Ulaidhe at Auchtercairn.
180964 877350 Torr Na H-Ulaidhe 5 (Auchtercairn R5) AH003: The hut circle was visited by A Welti, A MacInnes and J Buchanan in 2010 as part of research for a dissertation on hut circles in Wester Ross. This HC is one of 10 circular stone structures in the Auchtercairn area above and to the east of Gairloch and is in poor condition. The platform is situated beneath a rocky knoll and is dug into and built out from a gentle northeast facing slope. From the site are panoramic views inland. Several field walls of turf and stone wind across the landscape, one 3m from the E edge of the HC. The structure is submerged by bracken. The surrounding landscape is covered with a mixture of heather, bracken and grass. The HC is distant 100m from a stream and 1000m from the sea loch. Average inner diameter is 7.05m, external diameter is 11.35m. The double skinned wall is 2m thick with maximum height 0.75m. No entrance could be identified. AH003 is at a distance of 100m from both AH002 (see MHG8336) and AH004 (see MJHG57485). <1> <2>
[Note: a database was set up as part of research for the dissertation and was subsequently expanded as an extension of the We Digs Project (see website link below). The full access database can be made available to enquirers/researchers if requested - contact HER for details].
NGR adjusted in 2017 to position as seen on 2009 vertical APs. <3>
- <1> Text/Manuscript: Welti, A.. 2012. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye. University of Aberdeen. Yes. Digital. AH003.
- <2> Dataset/Database File: Welti, A.. 2009-2016. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye: project database. Lochbroom Field Club. Yes. Digital. AH003.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8096 7735 (18m by 18m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.wedigs.co.uk/ (View the WeDigs in Wester Ross Project website)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.