MHG57508 - Farmstead and enclosure, Dalbreac Lodge
Farmstead and enclosure at Dalbreac Lodge
Type and Period (2)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
On the south bank of the river and to the northeast of a prominent wooded hill are the remaining buildings and gardens of Dalbreac Lodge which were recorded by NOSAS in 2007 as part of the Scotland's Rural Past Project. The Lodge itself was burnt down in the 1940s but several of the ancillary buildings remain and are in use as Estate offices and dwelling houses. Some of the gardens and lawns are still maintained but much is overgrown by rhododendrons. 250 metres to the east of the Lodge, on the south side of the track and halfway between Dalbreac Mains and the Lodge, are the remains of a farmstead and enclosure.
Farmstead, Enclosure and improved ground (1166 – 1168) (Figure 10)
1166 Building/Farmstead - NH 30607 54782 A rectangular building on an E - W alignment has 3 compartments. It measures 17m x 5m overall and the walls, which are very low, barely 0.2-0.3m have a spread of 1m. Two depressions to the north are probably associated - the west one is oval 3m x 2m x 0.5m deep, the east is rectangular 4.5m x 4m x 0.3m deep. The enclosure, 1167, to the east is most certainly associated. This may be the sheep farm of the early 19th centuryand was probably abandoned when Dalbreac was built in c1850.
1167 Enclosure - NH 30620 54785 A rectangular enclosure contiguous and to the east of 1166; it measures 10m x 8 internally. The turf walls are low, 0.2m high in the north part but 0.5m in the S part. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2014 APs <2>
- <1> SHG24904 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M. 2010. Report of Phase Three Loch Meig to Dalbreac: February 2008 to June 2008, August 2009 to October 2009. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.52 Sites 1166/7.
- <2> SHG27384 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2014. Getmapping aerial photography 2014. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 3061 5479 (55m by 19m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/308581/dalbreac-lodge (Link to HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.