MHG5757 - Possible Chambered Cairn - Garafad
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- (Alternate Type) ROUND CAIRN (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 551 BC?)
NG46NE 12 4955 6757.
(NG 494 676) Beaker sherds and plain sherds found with cremated bone at a site, possibly a ring-cairn, at Cadha Riach, were donated to the NMAS in 1970 by C C MacLeod, Portree.
The remains of a chambered cairn at NG 4955 6757 surviving as a circular turf-covered mound 0.6m maximum height and spread to a diameter of c.8.5m robbed from the E. Two probable kerbstones in the W and three others in the S, suggest the original diameter was 7.5m. Five stones forming the W arc of the chamber survive in situ, with two others displaced, but the E half has been destroyed as has the entrance passage which was presum- ably in this arc. MacLeod (Mr C MacLeod, Garrafad, Staffin, Isle of Skye) a retired schoolmaster, found the sherds in the S half of the chamber where his carefully filled in trench is still visible.
To the W of the cairn are a few peat-obscured stony mounds which appear to be stone clearance heaps.
Surveyed at 1/2500. (Enlargement at 1:250)
Visited by OS (I S S) 20 September 1971.
The 5 Beaker sherds are listed under Acc. No. EQ 793 in the NMS catalogue and described as thick ware, decorated with incision, a band of lattice pattern, and herringbone on a slight carination. The plain sherds are listed under EQ 794 and described as a similar ware to EQ 793, and include two rim sherds. <1>
Human remains from the site are within NMS collections. <2>
- --- Text/Report: NMAS. 1971. Annual report 1970-1. . 7.
- <1> Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. EQ 793, EQ 794.
- <2> Dataset/Database File: 2020. Database of Human Remains in Museum Collections from Highland Area. NMS, IMAG & Marishal College. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 4955 6756 (300m by 300m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
- BEAKER (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- SHERD (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 551 BC?)
- CREMATION (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 551 BC?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM3519 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11342 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.