MHG57649 - Clearance cairn and field system, Allt a’Charnaich
Clearance cairn and field system at Allt a’Charnaich
Type and Period (2)
- CLEARANCE CAIRN (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
The Allt a’Charnaich flows from NW to SE to enter Loch Beannacharain at its east end. These sites are situated in the gentler SE facing slopes of the middle part of the burn and were recorded by NOSAS in 2007 as part of the Scotland's Rural Past Project.
Hut circle and field system (832 -833) - NH 24695 51376 Situated on a gentle SSW facing slope at an altitude of 235m this site comprises one hut circle and at least 2 clearance cairns. The site, recorded by NOSAS in 2007 as part of the Scotland's Rural Past Project, is predominantly heathery and on a well drained spur of ground with a large improved grassy area to the south.
833 Clearance cairn - NH 24670 51345 To the SW of 832 this is an obvious green stoney mound in an otherwise heathery area. The cairn is 0.7m in height. About 50m to the NNW of the hut circle there is a further clearance cairn. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2009 APs <2>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M. 2010. Report of Phase Four Strathanmore to Loch Beannacharain: May 2008 - June 2009. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.39 Site 833.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 2467 5135 (4m by 4m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/308873/allt-a-charnaich (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.