MHG57666 - Building, Balnacraig
Building at Balnacraig
Type and Period (1)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
Buildings, possible boundary wall and pit (1052 – 1058) - centred on NH 2925 5329 (Nmrs No - NH25SE 0024) Situated on the valley floor on both banks of the Allt Baille na Creige at the foot of a steep gorge with a waterfall, these sites were recorded by NOSAS in 2007 as part of the Scotland's Rural Past Project. The surrounding ground is grassy and appears fertile. A new track has recently been constructed and crosses the area. The site comprises 4 buildings, a pit and a wall which seems to contain the site to the base of the hill.
1053 Building - NH 29263 53396 The turf and stone walls footings of a rectangular building on a SW-NE alignment which measures overall 18.5m x 5.9m. The walls are of max height 0.5m and have a spread of 1.5m. There are 3 compartments. The central main one is 7.6m x c2.9m internally and there is an entrance at the S end of the SE wall, 0.9m in width. The outshot at the SW end is c3m in length and has amorphous majority turf walls. At the NE end the outshot is more evident, 5.3m in length and there is no evidence of an end wall. <1>
NH 291 532 A rapid walkover survey within Strathconon Estate was undertaken of six areas of woodland. <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
NGR adjusted based on 2009 APs <4>
- <1> SHG24905 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M. 2010. Report of Phase Four Strathanmore to Loch Beannacharain: May 2008 - June 2009. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.41 Site 1053.
- <2> SHG21465 Text/Report: Farrell S. Strathconon Estate 20 Year Management Plan. . .
- <3> SHG23411 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <4> SHG27382 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 2928 5336 (22m by 22m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/214084 (Click to view HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.