MHG57672 - Building/Possible Shieling, Coille Ruaridh Phadruig
Building/Possible Shieling at Coille Ruaridh Phadruig
Type and Period (2)
- SHIELING? (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
Coille Ruaridh Phadruig
Building/Possible Shieling and wall (1001 and 1059) - NH 28261 52152 (building) On the SE side of the River Meig to the east and south of Glenmeinich farm. The wall is directly east of the farm. The sites were recorded by NOSAS in 2007 as part of the Scotland's Rural Past Project.
1001 Shieling - NH 28261 52152 About 500m to the south of the farm at Glenmeinie, this rectangular structure is situated on a slight grassy knoll at the SW end of a broad grassy reach. The barely discernable turf footings are aligned NE-SW and have a maximum 0.1m height. The structure has rounded ends and the internal dimensions are 4 x 1.5m. There is a further building or possible outshot to the SW end at right angles, the footings here have some stone composition. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2009 APs <2>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M. 2010. Report of Phase Four Strathanmore to Loch Beannacharain: May 2008 - June 2009. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.42 Sites 1001.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 2825 5217 (8m by 8m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/308871/coille-ruaridh-phadruig (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.