MHG57696 - Pen and possible still bothy, Loch Airigh Lochan
Pen and possible still bothy at Loch Airigh Lochan
Type and Period (2)
- STILL HOUSE? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- PEN (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
Loch Airigh Lochan
Pen and possible still bothy (1140) - NH 28590 48992 Three kilometres to the ESE of Inverchoran Farm and at an altitude of 400m this structure is on the east side of the watershed, close to a minor burn which runs into the Allt Gleannan Mall-luirge and thence into the River Orrin. It is about 200m to the north of the shieling site of Loch an Airigh Lochain and was recorded by NOSAS in 2007 as part of the Scotland's Rural Past Project.
1140 Building/possible still bothy - NH 28590 48992 This site comprises two structures:
A - The original structure which is quite possibly a still bothy. It is trapezoidal in shape, on a NW-SE alignment and measures 4m x 1.5-2.5m with the narrower width to the SW. The building is recessed into the slope at the rear/NE and all that remains of the walls is an alignment of moss covered stones obscured by heather, generally 0.3m in height. The SE corner is just 1m distant from the burn to the east.
B - A more recent pen or shelter overlies the original structure and has probably been constructed using stones from it. It is U-shaped, open to the south, and just 1m x 1m internally. The crude dry stone walls are roughly constructed to a height of 0.8m. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2009 APs <2>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M. 2010. Report of Phase Four Strathanmore to Loch Beannacharain: May 2008 - June 2009. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.45 Site 1140.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 2858 4899 (3m by 2m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/308889/loch-airigh-lochan (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.