MHG57711 - Building/Possible Shieling, Inverchoran Wood (Alternative Inverchoran West)
Building/Possible Shieling at Inverchoran Wood (Alternative Inverchoran West)
Type and Period (2)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- SHIELING? (Medieval - 1058 AD? to 1559 AD?)
- None recorded
Inverchoran Wood Alternative Inverchoran West
Cairns, buildings and enclosures (616 – 623) - centred on NH 2532 5045 were recorded by NOSAS in 2007 as part of the Scotland's Rural Past Project. These sites are situated in the linear strip of ground, which is1.5kms in length, on the south side of the valley floor to the west of Inverchoran. It is mainly grassland and heather and is bounded on the south side by a forest plantation. Aerial photographs of 1947 show that there had been a timber camp at the west end.
619 Building/Possible Shieling - at NH 24864 50610 The low moss covered stone footings of a small sub rectangular building, c3m E-W x 2m internal, set close to a small burn. Large boulders are either dumped or tumbled inside the structure. Walls c1m spread, standing 0.3m high. No sketch, 1 photo <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2009 APs <2>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M. 2010. Report of Phase Four Strathanmore to Loch Beannacharain: May 2008 - June 2009. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.46/7 Site 619.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 2485 5062 (5m by 5m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/308893/inverchoran-wood (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.