MHG57773 - Former poorhouse - Gairloch Hotel


The rear portion of the Gairloch Hotel was originally built as the Gairoch Poorhouse.

Type and Period (1)

  • POOR HOUSE (In use, 19th Century - 1846 AD to 1870 AD?)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

The rear portion of the Gairloch Hotel (see MHG22076) was originally built as the Gairloch Poorhouse.

The Gairloch Poorhouse was built in the late 1840s. It was located on what is now the site of the Gairloch Hotel in a block to the rear of and parallel to the main hotel block. It was later used as accomodation for hotel staff but was partially destroyed by fire in 1976 and was then largely rebuilt. <1>

About 1846 a large Poor House was built. <2>

The poorhouse was subsequently extended to the front to form the Gairloch Hotel, which opened in 1872.

GIS spatial data created in 2018 using OS MasterMap. <3>

Sources/Archives (3)



Grid reference Centred NG 8055 7628 (25m by 28m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NG87NW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish GAIRLOCH

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (2)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.