MHG57798 - Hut circle - Rubha na Guailne
A hut circle at Rubha na Guailne.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
A hut circle at Rubha na Guialne.
169190 846549 Rubha na Gualine 6 HK006: The hut circle was visited by A Welti and H Keiro in 2010 as part of research for a dissertation on hut circles in Wester Ross. This was part of a degree course overseen by Aberdeen University. This HC is part of a cluster of 4 HCs (HK005 (see MHG41455), HK006, HK007 (see MHG57799) and HK008 (see MHG57800)), situated 500m to N of the group HK001 (see MHG7689), HK002 (see MHG57780) and HK004 (see MHG57779). The area around the HC contains many ruins of sheilings, walls and sheep pens.The HC HK006 sits on a built up terrace on a gentle slope. A shieling has been built in the centre of the HC, probably robbing it of stone. To S the platform edge is built up and mossy. On N side there are remains of a double skin wall, thickness 1.2m with height 0.5m. Interior diameters were unmeasurable. Average external diameter is 7.2m. An ancient wall adjoins the HC to SW and a small stream runs close to the site. 100m to SW are remains of a two roomed pre-clearance stone house. <1> <2>
[Note: a database was set up as part of research for the dissertation and was subsequently expanded as an extension of the We Digs Project (see website link below). The full access database can be made available to enquirers/researchers if requested - contact HER for details].
GIS spatial data amended in 2018 to location as shown on 2009 APs. <3>
- <1> Text/Manuscript: Welti, A.. 2012. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye. University of Aberdeen. Yes. Digital. HK006.
- <2> Dataset/Database File: Welti, A.. 2009-2016. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye: project database. Lochbroom Field Club. Yes. Digital. HK006.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 6918 4655 (14m by 14m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.wedigs.co.uK (View the WeDigs in Wester Ross Project website)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.