MHG57799 - Hut circle - Rubha na Guailne
A hut circle at Rubha na Guailne.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
A hut circle at Rubha na Guialne.
169122 846517 Rubha na Guailne 6 HK007: The hut circle was visited by A Welti and H Keiro in 2010 as part of research for a dissertation on hut circles in Wester Ross. This was part of a degree course overseen by Aberdeen University. This HC is part of a cluster of 4 HCs (HK005 (see MHG41455), HK006 (se MHG57798), HK007 and HK008 (see MHG57800)), situated 500m to N of the group HK001 (see MHG7689), HK002 (see MHG57780) and HK004 (see MHG57779). The area around the HC contains many ruins of shielings, walls and sheep pens. An ancient wall runs roughly E/W 4m from the W side of the platform. There are areas of tumbled stone near to both HK007 and HK008, with no identifiable HCs. These are possibly shieling remains. HK007 consists of a platform on a SW facing terrace, situated on gently sloping ground. There were some moss covered stones and dense bracken. Average diameter of the platform is 7.3m. No other measurements were possible. A burn was 30m distant. HK008 is 5m S of HK007, both are equally mutilated. <1> <2>
[Note: a database was set up as part of research for the dissertation and was subsequently expanded as an extension of the We Digs Project (see website link below). The full access database can be made available to enquirers/researchers if requested - contact HER for details].
GIS spatial data amended in 2018 to location as shown on 2009 APs. <3>
- <1> Text/Manuscript: Welti, A.. 2012. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye. University of Aberdeen. Yes. Digital. HK007.
- <2> Dataset/Database File: Welti, A.. 2009-2016. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye: project database. Lochbroom Field Club. Yes. Digital. HK007.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 6911 4653 (12m by 12m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.wedigs.co.uk (View the WeDigs in Wester Ross Project website)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.