MHG57892 - Hut circle - Torr Mor 3
A hut circle at Torr Mor.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
Remains of a hut circle at Torr Mor.
170948 842941 Torr Mor 3 HK017: The hut circle was visited by A Welti and H Keiro in 2010 as part of research for a dissertation on hut circles in Wester Ross. This circular stone structure is one of a cluster of 6 (together with HK016 (see MHG57891), HK015 (see MHG7645), HK018 (see MHG57893), ANNW004 (see MHG57897) and ANNW005 (see MHG57898)) on SW slopes of Torr Mor. The group are all between 100 and 300m to N of a possible chambered cairn at NG71056 42655. The platform has been levelled with a revetted bank to W downslope. The walling has been robbed but there is a section of intact double skinned walling to W of the possible north facing entrance. Wall width is 1.3m, max height is 0.3m. Average interior diameter is 6.4m, external diam is 8.5m. A small sheiling is built into the outer wall to NNW. An earlier wall of boulders runs N/S to E of the HC. Views from the site are panoramic over inland and sea. HK017 is at a distance of 30m from HK018, 100m from HK016 and 250m from ANNW005. <1> <2>
[Note: a database was set up as part of research for the dissertation and was subsequently expanded as an extension of the We Digs Project (see website link below). The full access database can be made available to enquirers/researchers if requested - contact HER for details].
GIS spatial data created in 2018 as shown on 2009 Aps. <3>
- <1> Text/Manuscript: Welti, A.. 2012. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye. University of Aberdeen. Yes. Digital. HK017.
- <2> Dataset/Database File: Welti, A.. 2009-2016. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye: project database. Lochbroom Field Club. Yes. Digital. HK017.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7094 4295 (14m by 14m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.wedigs.co.uk/ (View the WeDigs in Wester Ross Project website)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.