MHG57900 - Hut circle - Torr Mor 5
A hut circle at Torr Mor.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
Remains of a hut circle at Torr Mor.
171123 842555 Torr Mor 5 HK019: The hut circle was visited by A Welti and H Keiro in 2010 as part of research for a dissertation on hut circles in Wester Ross. This was part of a degree course overseen by Aberdeen University. This HC is sited on a low natural knoll in a gently sloping landscape. There are several field boundaries nearby. It may be associated with HK020 (see MHG57901), distant 200m. Average interior diameter is 6.65m, exterior diam is 8.8m, double skinned wall is 1.5m thick, max height 0.4m, filled with stones and turf. Facing stones show to NNE. Entrance may be to NNW. The banking is visible but very few stones show. Average interior diameter is 6.2m, exterior diam is 9m, double skinned wall is 1.5m thick, max height is 0.4m. A probable entrance faces NW and is 1.6m wide. <1> <2>
[Note: a database was set up as part of research for the dissertation and was subsequently expanded as an extension of the We Digs Project (see website link below). The full access database can be made available to enquirers/researchers if requested - contact HER for details].
GIS spatial data created in 2018 as shown on 2009 Aps. <3>
- <1> SHG27403 Text/Manuscript: Welti, A.. 2012. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye. University of Aberdeen. Yes. Digital. HK019.
- <2> SHG27404 Dataset/Database File: Welti, A.. 2009-2016. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye: project database. Lochbroom Field Club. Yes. Digital. HK019.
- <3> SHG27382 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7111 4256 (11m by 11m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.wedigs.co.uk/ (View the WeDigs in Wester Ross Project website)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.